Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The whole world has been shoved into Tokyo

I went to Tokyo Disney Land and Sea this weekend. It was a blast. Before I went, I stopped in Tokyo and found the first large city that I just don't like. It was a nice visit and I hope I get another chance to tour Tokyo, but not a place I would ever want to live. In New York there is a magnificent skyline where all the proudest buildings of the state (and maybe the nation) stand together against the night sky. It's really something. In Tokyo, you can probably find some kind of skyline if you search, but the tall buildings are literally everywhere. In New York there are streets that are particularly famous for being the life of the city. New York has the beautiful and exciting Time's Square to show off America's ingenuity and creativity. Tokyo has Tokyo to show off their ingenuity and creativity. It's everywhere. Every time I turned down a street, I ran into a whole new Time's Square. Time's Street. Time's Block. Time's City. It was downright intimidating. There were so many people that I felt worn out after just a few hours of walking around. I'm just not a Tokyo kind of person.

Disney Land was a blast. We rode just about everything they offered and barely stood in line at all. We were incredibly lucky. All my friends warned me about two or three hour long lines, but with skillfull timing, promises of bad weather (though actually it was beautiful), and turning down any ride that had more than an hour long wait, we managed to work our way through almost everything. It was a lot of fun and I'm particularly glad I went with my host sister.

I have become such the baby of the family. It's ridiculous. I'm spoiled and loving it and finding myself playing up the cute baby sister role despite myself. Ah well. I've never felt so young before and I feel like the family appreciates it. I run through the halls so I can slide in my slippers. I laugh at everything. It feels like I'm doing a good thing, just by being happy and having a fresh insight on they're life and culture and of course, I have my own culture to offer.

Tomorrow is the infamous Rotary Speech, put off a month and extended from 15 minutes to 30.
How can I actually be looking forward to this?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

having been to NYC and Times Square more than I care to admit, that is the first time I have /ever/ heard of times square described in that way.

made me laugh. :)

-Mike.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are happy and having a good time. It must be interesting to be the baby of the family. Good luck on your speech!

Anonymous said...

Hey darlin'!

How'd the speech go?????

I've been wondering for two days now!

xo,

Anonymous said...

hey--
I forgot to mention how much I LOVED the title of this blog entry. :)

you're so darn witty and creative. I'm jealous!

and what's so funny about a broken shift key anyway?

and...
why do you never respond to the comments we leave here? eh?

see you in a month!

~mom
p.s. I handed Chris your Xanth book and he LOVED it! He's scouring the house for the second book in the series!

Heather said...

Aww, glad you liked my description. Hehe, I've only been there once and it was a while ago, but Times Square certainly left an impression on me.

And Emily, email me!!

And Mom, look, I'm responding just because you said that. Tell Christian to look in a big box of books on the shelf of the back wall in the back room. I horded all my favorite books back there. Also, the public library has a pretty complete Xanth selection.