Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm BAAAAACK!!!!!

Guess what! My computer isn't broken! My harddrive wasn't wiped clear.

So the other day, my host grandfather's brother (can you tell I still don't know anyone's name...) came and drank all the beer in the house. Nothing's new there. I remembered that he actually owns the computer store next door and, upon seeing him, pleaded with him to take a look at my computer.

For the record, I thought the problem was with my cord. I tore the third prong off my plug so it'd fit into Japanese outlets, only recently, it's been sparking every time I plug it in. The ends of the prongs look burnt. So I suggested to my host great uncle that perhaps the problem was the plug and maybe if I could just buy a new one the problem might be solved....
"No!" shouts my drunk great uncle. I immediately regreted not having the insight not to go to someone who's only english vocabulary consists of "Get me a beer!" So he said he'd just wipe my hardrive and everything would be good. No! Don't wipe my hardrive! Please! So I'm pleading to him, trying to convince that actually it's not really broken and I don't need his help. He gets sorely offended and the whole family has a meeting to discuss my impolite behavior. They tell me he's a certified engineer who's been to college and knows a lot about computers. I sigh and relent (imagining him spilling beer all over my laptop as he erases all my pictures of Japan, all my word documents, all my completely-legally-downloaded music). Today, I got the half-dreaded, half-anticipated phone call. He fixed my computer, didn't spill a single drop of beer on it (that I know of), and my hardrive is thankfully still in tact. And I don't owe him a single cent.

This Sunday I'll be going to USJ with Rotary. I'm really looking forward to it (though it'll be my third time... hehe...) because I haven't seen my exchange friends in a long time.

The new school year has of course started and it's going really well. I'm well ahead of them in math and science, which makes life a lot easier for me. In my home-ec class, I'm actually going to making a yukata! Woo!

1 comment:

gma said...

You sound so happy. Love ya. gma