Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Excuses for Why I Stopped Updating:

Kendo has recently been level-upped for the big follow-up tournament in July. I've been dragging myself home around 7:40-ish absolutely exhausted.

I've been so so so busy lately. I went to Heian Jinga, one of the biggest temples is Kyoto, and spent a day with my host family wandering through the beautiful gardens. I went to a Buddhist congregational meeting, had my prayer sent to the ancestors, spent two hours copying zen-ish words in calligraphy, heard the chant of the monks as I meditated in seiza, and listened to a sermon that was virtually identical to the ones given at the church down West Street, Morgantown. I toured a place that hand paints the intricate design on kimonos using a process called yuzenzome (which I totally wrote and delivered a report on for my home ec class). I watched fresh sake being made from fermented rice and learned how the tradition became embeded in Japanese culture. I got private lessons on how to put on a yukata by myself, a feat most Japanese women can't do, including any of the women in my four host families. I cheered for my school as we won a kendo tournament in Kyoto and am sweating with them as we excitedly prepare for the tournament in Osaka to determine the champion of the region. I went to a house where a famous revoloutionary hito was killed in a dramatic sword fight years and years ago, and ran my fingers over the marks left on the door frame from that fatal fight. I rode a boat through the Kamogawa River, splashed in the largest lake in Japan (Biwako), held live eels and then ate them (after they were dead and this time, cooked). And I did it all in less than two weeks. Hmm, maybe less than two weeks. I've even had time for school.

With the return date swooping closer and closer, I'm finding myself swamped with activities. Everyone wants to go out with me at least one last time before I go home, show me one last thing, and - oh no! You haven't been there yet?! Lets go ASAP! On top of everything, kendo practice has been upped for the big tournament coming up, so I've been absolutely pooped.

I've got speeches to write, parties to plan, stuff and more stuff to pack, and a mountain to climb. No really. I'm starting the trek up Mt. Fuji (Japan's tallest mountain) on July 8 (which happens to be my 19th birthday) with the other thirteen exchange students.

All this preperation for going home is exciting and I'm looking forward to stepping off the plane in my own country. I'm also nervous and uncomfortable with the idea. And I'm happy and thankful. It's difficult - right now I'm in Japan and I will be for another month and a half or so. I don't want to cut my exchange short by becoming sidetracked with dwelling on home, but I've got a feeling that it might not be being side tracked so much as part of the journey.

Yuck, I'm so tired! It's ridiculous. Have a grand night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you I love you I love you. :)

Your little sister is going crazy with anticipation, by the way. She's inherited your worry gene though, and can't just focus on seeing you...she's already focused on you leaving for college!!

we're all pretty excited my sweet!! Sounds like you're filling up your day with excitement too!

what is a yukata? Ack, wish I had your post in front of me so I could make sure I spelled that right!

Heather said...

A yukata is a summer kimono - lighter and frequently worn in the summer by Japanese women (and sometimes men). I'm making one in my home ec class - and I've completely given up hope that I'll ever be good at sewing. I can do the basic up-down-up-down thingy mabopper, but past that I'm lost. The Sensei has all these fancy knots that I'm supposed to be using, but when she doesn't look, I just use the basic shoe-tie knot. Ehehehe.... I have found something I'm truly terrible at.

I'm excited too! In two more months, I'll be speaking English around the clock and everyone will understand me and say the right things back and everything will be normal! I'll hug until everyone turns Japanese and tells me no more.