Sunday, December 24, 2006

My Christmas Eve

I feel like I should record everything because this is a really exciting time. Today was Christmas Eve, though my familiy in the States are just waking up and starting the day off. I celebrated with my family in a very interesting, non-traditional way. The highlight of my day started when we went grocery shopping for dinner. We bought stuff for crab nabo, which is amazingly delicious, and the ingredients of chocolate chip cookies, at my request. We went home (my host parents and I), made and ate the nabo, and I started on my cookies, with Okaasan close at hand. It was nice. We made them together. She would add the ingredients while I stirred or I would measure something out while she greased. It was a good time. Her first time making (and later eating) chocolate chip cookies, so I felt a little pressure to make them wonderful. =) While we were doing this, Otoosan set up the Nintendo Wii he bought the family as a Christmas present (actually, he just bought it - I pretty arbitrarily decided that it was a Christmas present). We finished the cookies, which turned out really good, though a little different from what I'm used to. Measurements weren't a problem, though it was a little difficult coping with a lack of oven. Can you believe it? My family doesn't have an oven. And they're rich. We used the microwave oven, but the timing was wierd. In the magazine my host mom bought, the instructions said to press the cookie button and wait about thirty minutes for "American cookies" (not chocolate chip). My instructions said to set the temperature to 375 degrees F and wait nine to eleven minutes. Okaasan said I had to be wrong, so she pressed the cookie button and proceeded to wait thirty minutes. About fifteen minutes into it, I commented on how perfect they were and how we should take them out. "Okay, after fifteen more minutes." "But then they'll be really hot!" (I don't know how to say burnt). "Cookies are supposed to be hot." "But not black! Black cookies aren't good!" So she let me take them out and they were perfect. She was really excited about the smell. So was I. So were the dogs. It filled the whole house and I greedily drank in the familiarity. We finished and I explained some customs that they found ridiculous ("You mean Santa leaves presents in a giant sock?! Doesn't it smell bad? What if you have small feet?"). I also told a flimsy version of the Christmas Story (you know, with Jesus and everything) and was excited about how eager they listened. Too bad nobody listens like that when I know the language. I told about my family's own traditions (we always leave cookies out for Santa and a carrot or some other veggie out Rudolph) and what exactly we celebrate. We ate cookies and exchanged some presents. Otoosan bought me his present a few weeks ago, when we went shopping together. A nice cashmere turtleneck that cost more than all the clothes I brought with me to Japan, maybe. Okaasan gave me my favorite movie in the whole world that I've completely missed since switching houses - Totoro! Man I'm so happy about that. It felt like Christmas. I gave them a West Virginia calendar my Mom sent from home (thanks, it was perfect!) and a c.d. of Christmas carols I bought here in Japan. So we listened to Christmas carols and talked more and ate more cookies and I was happy. Otoosan fell asleep to the Christmas music and Okaasan flipped through the calendar asking about the various scenes. It felt very much like Christmas. I'm glad I made the cookies. Even if the brown sugar isn't really brown sugar here in Kyoto.

Christmas actually doesn't start until tomorrow. Hah, I didn't think I was allowed to tell them to save their presents for a day. Besides, what does it matter? Christmas is a feeling, not a day. I'm not upset that I'm missing out on Christmas at home (though I remembered that I haven't eaten a candy cane in about a year). I'm glad that I can share it with these people that have been so wonderful to me. Tomorrow, I'm not going to kendo practice like originally planned. I'm going to my host ma's friend's house to learn how to make Omochi or something like that for the New Years.

I carry Christmas in my heart. That is a good feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Candy Canes are on their way! Enough to share. :)