Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I could write a book about Japanese toilets

Today I was walking along getting ready to meet my host sis, when I felt nature call. Low and behold, I went to the restroom, did my business, and without thinking twice, pressed the button to flush the toilet. As soon as I pressed it, an alarm blared through the station and the button started flashing red and green. I pressed it again, in hopes that it would turn off, but no luck. The whole station was screaming my mistake and there I was in the stall, listening with a mix of horror and fascination as the people audibly stopped what they were doing to see what was going on. Woops. I realized someone would probably come, got dressed as fast as I could, and ran out, only to find a policeman coming from the opposite end of the station and cutting through the chains meant to keep people in line, running hurriedly in my direction. Hehe, I intercepted him and sheepishly explained my situation.

Lessons I've learned today:
Don't press buttons. Don't use Japanese toilets.
The Japanese don't have a word for "flush".
Everybody likes you when you're foreign, even if you set a whole train station in panic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I overflowed a bathtub from pressing the wrong buttons. Don't you just love Japan?
-Julie from CS in Kochi