Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Nihongo

I called my mom today, even though it's against my rules to call her on weekdays. I didn't call her because I was homesick or angry or sad. I just like talking to her. It's not even easier to talk to her than it is to talk to my Japanese friends. English is more frustrating than it ever was. I can write with ease, though I know my writing is littered with grammatical, spelling, and err, structural mistakes that I never used to have problems with. But at least it's usually clear and fluent enough. Whenever I talk these days, it's almost always haltingly. I think I need speech classes. I'm probably actually clearer in Japanese. Not clearer, but more fluid. I'm going to miss particles when I go home at the end of this year. They're so logical and simple. Well, usually simple. And very clear, so there's no doubt about the meaning. It's going to be wierd having to add subjects and all that stuff when I go back to using english regularly. In English, I might say "Can you speak English?" In Japanese, I might say "Dekiru?" Literally, that means "can". Just can. But the rise of the voice implies a question, that I'm adressing it to you means that I'm probably asking about you. If I just randomly out of the blue asked it, I might have to say "Ego dekiru?" and could probably get away with saying just that, which literally means "English can?" Maybe I'd have to add the particle to be clear. I love Japanese. I love English also. I'm really excited about speaking again in a year. Complete immersion in a culture I understand. Woohoo!

No comments: