Friday, January 26, 2007

Just a little tired...

Kendo has been pretty dominating these past few days. For one, I've been learning a lot lately and am really excited to be there. Especially because I had to write that darn diary entry, I've been thinking about it more than before. I wish I could have written better. I heard through the grapevine that Sensei wants me to write more regularly to practice my Japanese. I'm happy that I'll get another chance to redo the poor job I did with the last entry, but anxious about having to write in Japanese again. I shouldn't let it be stressful.

I really miss the peace of mind of karate. Whenever things get rough or I feel the need for familiarity, I imagine myself at karate or run through katas in my head. Nothing's changed at all. Except then I realize that I'm not going anytime soon and a little tiny sinking feeling becomes apparent.

Anyways, I'm as excited as ever about kendo. I think my first shiai (competition) is coming up soon. I'm not sure yet and I don't know if I'll be able to participate, but I should be shodan by then, so who knows. I think Sakai Sensei will want me to participate if he can help it.

Today was fairly ho-hum. This whole week the first year students have been on their skiing trip and I've been left alone, many of my classes cancelled for lack of students. So I've been spending just about every day this week in the teacher's room, pouring silently over my textbook, trying desperately to absorb Japanese. So far, no luck.

Actually, Japanese has also been going well. It's so exciting! When I grow up I want to be a professional learner. I've also become really aware of how little I know of Japanese. As long as I take it one step at a time, I almost always feel successful and excited about my progress. When it hits me just how little I know and how far I have to go, I become discouraged and disappointed. But that's just not a productive thought to have, so why bother with it? I try not to.

Not much else is going on. Disney Land is still scheduled to be soon, but I still don't know when. My real mom officially purchased tickets to come visit in March, which I'm excited about. I have the Rotary speech coming up and will spend this weekend laboring over it. I hope it goes well. Life is good.

No comments: