Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A cello!!!

So today I'm getting a cello from a monk who is a professional cellist. Or maybe it's a professional cellist that plays for monks. Or maybe there are no monks involved and I have no idea what I'm talking about. I do like the cello, though I'm pretty terrible. Too bad. I think he wants me to play for it (it's his cello that he's lending me, as far as I understand). I hope it's not if you stink, no cello for you. It'll be good to have something familiar to do with all the time I have without resorting to my own language.

Languages are funny. I would like to study how they came to be. Who decided that verbs have to go at the end of the sentences? Who decided the Japanese need three different "alphabets" and a million different forms of every word?
I like learning Japanese a lot. It's fun and new and a little exciting. The best feeling is making myself understood with Japanese. It's especially cool when I can make complete sentences, instead of "Me tired now. Where sleep?". Hah, who would have ever thought it'd be me using caveman speech? I wouldn't have ever guessed it. Japan's doing funny things to me. It's messing up my spelling, for one. And it's making me think with an accent every so often. And words, which have always been my medium, are not mine any more. Sometimes they're there and sometimes they aren't (in either language), and I don't have that precision of words I so love. I can't meander or stroll or skip or anything. Just walk.

I sympathize with foriegners speaking (or not speaking) english in America. We're all just a bunch of two year-olds, aren't we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Heza baby,
I'm just going to have to get used to you thinking you aren't especially good at things, aren't I? At least you acknowledge you're a good writer...but you're "terrible" at the cello??? You're "nothing special" (previous post)?
What exactly do you have to achieve before you come to know with confidence what every person who comes in contact with you knows????

I love you forever. You're incredibly special, absolutely fabulous, and I'm so proud of you that my friends are tired of hearing about you. My heart nearly leaps out of my chest when I hear you or think of you.

Glad you're havin' a blast! :) I'm having a blast by proxy, so it's all good. :)
Oh, and you're doin' a fabulous job listening to TWO mommies! Hug her for me and tell her I said thank you for loving you. You'll understand someday.

xoxoxxoxoxo,
Mom