Monday, September 25, 2006

Holiday!!

So, while my poor classmates have been spending weeks pouring over books and memorizing every fact presented to them, I have been running around Kyoto, tossing coins into bins and lighting inscence. It is now Test Week and they are all at this very moment racking their minds for answers to their monster Tests. I am goofing around on the internet, playing on my sister's piano, and decorating my trash with spit wads. I am obviously having a much more productive day then they are.

Because I'm not really in any real classes, my teacher told me I should just stay home this week and "study" on my own. So I've been "studying" what Japanese students do when they are home alone with boring trash and an empty piano. It's either that or read and I shouldn't start another book. Not unless it's in Japanese, which I unfortunately don't know. Studying Japanese all day long gets so tedious. In the States, I was such a model student. I did all my homework on time, studied rigorously for every test, hated missing school (well, that changed a little Senior Year), and read everything I could get my hands on. Now, I feel guilty reading in English, and studying gets boring and I have sooo much time. The change is pace is refreshing, but a little daunting.
In two weeks, I will start kendo. That will bring a little normalcy back; it's every day until seven. At home, I was just getting ready for adult class at seven. Or else teaching beginners' class. Now I'll be leaving school at seven. How wierd. Everything is wierd these days.

I'm so glad I'm here, but it seems that every single thing around me is different. I didn't even know that there could BE so many differences. I'm glad I'm not in Europe right now, like I thought I'd be. Or South America. Or West Virginia, for that matter.

I guess I ought to study. Or make more spit wads. Have a splendid day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heza...about to call you (3 pm your time). Hope you're done with those spitballs. :)

Anonymous said...

Heza...about to call you (3 pm your time). Hope you're done with those spitballs. :)