Saturday, November 18, 2006

As an Ambassador

I really like my job as an American Ambassador. For one, it makes me feel important. For two, people listen to me. They listen to my opinions about Japan and treat my opinons as if they are backed by some kind of authority. As if I am some kind of authority. I like it. It's nice that not only do people listen to me, but they want to. They enjoy my questions and my insight into their culture (and my own).

Today was absolutely amazing. I had kendo practice this morning which was fun. I felt less overwhelmed than I usually do. Less like I'm just randomly swinging the shinai, and more like I'm putting technique into it. Afterwards, Sakai Sensei told me he's going to take me to a kendo test on the 16th of Decemeber. That should be interesting. I don't know Japanese. I don't know kendo very well at all. But I'd like to see what a test is like. And who knows, maybe it'll be fun. Maybe. Saturdays are always spar days, and this was my first Saturday with all the gear. I thought I might get to spar, but it turned out I wasn't able to. But it was incredibly interesting to watch and try to figure out the rules and what makes a good strike. I think I can do this.

After kendo, I met my Brazilian friend at Kyoto Station (my favorite place in Japan) and we went together to my house. Okaasan is so funny. She's probably one the coolest, greatest people in the world and I am sooo lucky I ended up with her. Asukachan got really angry with us for speaking in English, so we tried Japanese until that got too slow. Taina (my friend) and I listened to Jack Johnson, who happens to be both our favorite singers, and ate cake. We were going to my host gramma's house when we got into a car accident. Cool, huh? It was complete with fire, blood, ambulance, and screams. Okay okay, I'm exaggerating. I didn't even realize we were in an accident until Okaasan started apologizing like crazy. My host sister bit her lip pretty badly and insisted on being taken to the hospital. She was fine though. Nobody was hurt besides her, and boy did she play it up. We stayed in the car and watched TV while they figured everything out. Whenever people would look in the window at us (two foriegners and a bloody 7 seven year-old), Asukachan would start crying and screaming. She stopped whenever they weren't looking. Oh brother. I felt so bad for my host mother. Otoosan was angry with her and she had two foreigners and a screaming kid to deal with, on top of causing a three car accident. I wanted to hug her and tell her to calm down. I tried helping, but I couldn't do much more than find tissue for the bloody lip and tell Okaasan to calm way down. But I don't think it did much. Ah well. It was fun. Everyone is okay. Otoosan said Okaasan isn't allowed to drive anymore. Haha, that's funny. I think. He says she has to take the subway from now on. I would be furious if my husband told me that.

So while Asukachan was being rushed frantically to the hospital so the doctors could admire her swollen lip, Okaasan and I returned home. Taina also went to her home. Okaasan and I had a really good talk. It started by me explaining that in America, boys and girls freely talk to each other, but in Japan, they never even look at each other. We ended up talking about her marriage with Otoosan and lots of things about Japanese relationships I was really curious about. She was really great about catering to my curiousity and did not have a problem answering some semi-personal questions. And she recpricated them, which was nice. We talked and compared and when I apoligized for asking personal questions, she said that it's okay because she likes to know what I'm curious about and she wants to help me understand. God I love her. I'm so lucky. I'm in the best country in the best city in the best Rotary Club (really, my friends and I compare clubs and we've decided that mine is the best) and the best family. Except I change in a few days. Maybe they'll be the best too. I hope so.

No comments: