Wednesday, November 29, 2006

If I was God, I'd make every day like today

So Okaasan told me we were going to see something light up. What? I'm not sure. And then slowly I piece together her Japanese. We are going to see Kyoto Station light up. Why? Who cares why. Just go with the flow. No, not the station. Maybe we are going to the station to see Kyoto light up. I assume it's for Christmas, as there have been an increasing amount of Christmas lights going up in my neighborhood. No, we aren't even going to Kyoto Station at all. I in fact have no idea what's going on.

It turned out we went nowhere near Kyoto Eki. We went to a different station to meet my host sister and then my host sis and her friend and I went together to a temple to see the most beautiful thing I've ever seen maybe in my life. France has it's Louvre and Italy has Da Vinci. Poor Japan is so underrated. We went to a temple surrounded by trees. They were lighted perfectly and the colors were magnificent. They are only lighted for five days every year or every fall or something. At one point, all the trees were around this lake and you could see the reflection of the Autumn colors on the water. It was amazing. I wish I could should you. The pictures didn't turn out well because it was so dark. (it was at 7 maybe) There were sooo many people there! Everyone was exclaiming how pretty it was and taking pictures. I even ran into my last host family there! That was really exciting!

I saw some really great art too. I was never really a big fan of Asian art before this year, but I absolutely love it now. Having tried a little shoto, I have more respect for the art form. I can see the strokes made by the ancient artists and respect the skill and sheek beauty of the black ink. Japanese art is so smooth and natural.

Ugg. I'm so tired I might sleep on the computer, but I feel like it's important to tell you about today. Forgive any following mistakes. Between my English being so clumsy and me being so tired, I'm not sure this is going to turn out well. But at least you'll know about today.

So many sites and smells! The smells are what really get me! Cigarette smoke and sesame and people and new clothes and old clothes and chicken and a slight body odor, but nothing really uncomfortable. In fact, I find the smell of cigarette smoke a little comforting. And you look up and see bamboo shoots and red paper lanterns and people! and woman wearing kimonos and I even actually saw a maiko san today! And it's times like that when I realize I am in Japan. What more could I ever want? I really think I'm one of the luckiest people in the world right about now.

I really am falling asleep as I write this. Darn. But good news. School is out. I'll write tomorrow. Oyasumu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a great site here on karate ryu wado. I also run a karate ryu wado site that you and your visitors may find interesting.

Anonymous said...

wish i could have been there